|Pick him. Or else...|
With the All-star weekend quickly approaching, many try to speculate what pitchers will be making the trip down to Arizona.
I am vouching for Ryan Andrew Vogelsong of the San Francisco Giants.
Here are my 10 reasons:
1. The Giants are 10-4 when he has made an appearance, 9-3 when he has started.
2. His last name is "Vogelsong." How cool is that to say?
3. He has allowed more than two runs in a game twice. In those two games, the Giants still won (7-6 @ Mets, 13-7 @ Cubs)
4. He had a streak of six games where he allowed one run or less. The Giants somehow ended up with a record of 4-2 during that span, but dang was Vogelsong good.
5. He has only lost once. In that loss he pitched eight innings, allowed eight hits, walked one, struck out 3 and ended up losing 1-0 to the Florida Marlins.
6. His ERA is second best (to Jair Jurrjens) in the league (2.07 to 2.09).
7. He already has a 2.5 WAR (Wins Above Replacement) in the 12 starts hes had. Oh by the way, that leads all Giants pitchers (second best is Matt Cain with 2.2)
8. Did you know he has a batting average higher than Brandon Crawford, Miguel Tejada, Eli Whiteside, Bill Hall and Mike Fontenot? Huh...
9. Because he damn well deserves it. What a story for this guy: he was drafted by the Giants in the 5th round back in 1998 and traded to the Pirates for Jason Schmidt where struggled on an already terrible Pirates team. He then signed with the Phillies and was quickly released, then signed by the Angels and never was given a second chance to pitch in the big leagues. That is, until he joined the Giants. Now he is one of the best pitchers in one of the best rotations in baseball. Journalists dream of Cinderella stories like this one.
10. Because he is a Giant and Bruce Bochy can do whatever he wants. Charlie Manuel did it to the NLAll-Star team back in 2009, I say Bochy picks his entire bullpen and rotation to pitch in the All-Star game. I hate the Phillies...
So there ya go, it's a pretty gosh darn convincing list of reasons why I think Vogelsong should make this years All-Star game. Hopefully he gets some national recognition when the break comes because I'd sure like to see him there.